All in a day’s work — в порядке вещей, само собой разумеющееся
Definition: nothing special, part of the routine
- Don’t worry about it. It’s all in a day’s work.
- Cooking is all in a day’s work.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy — Умей дело делать, умей и позабавиться.
Definition: Idiom meaning that you need to have fun in order to be a happy, healthy person
- Go home! Remember: All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
- I’m worried about him. He hasn’t yet understood that all work and no play makes jack a dull boy.
Dirty work -тяжелая работа, «грязная» работа, нудная работа
Definition: Necessary, but uninteresting, or difficult work
- She did the dirty work on that project.
- Have you got around to doing the dirty work yet?
Get down to work — приступить к работе
Definition: Stop relaxing, focus on important task
- Hey, let’s get down to work here!
- Sorry, I’ve got to get off the phone and get down to work.
Get worked up over something — горячиться, гнать волну
Definition: become angry or annoyed about something
- She got all worked up over the last exam.
- Don’t get worked up over the garden. I’ll take care of it tomorrow.
Make short work of something — быстро справиться с чем-то
Definition: do something quickly
- I made short work of the assignment and moved on to the next job.
- Give it to Jill. She’ll make short work of it.
Work like a horse — упорно трудиться
Definition: work a lot, work very hard
- Mark works like a horse!
- Why don’t you ask Tim. He works like a horse.
Work out for the best — изменяться к лучшему
Definition: eventually finish well
- Don’t worry about your troubles. Everything will work out for the best.
- The divorce worked out for the best for the whole family.
Work something off — сбросить лишний вес
Definition: lose weight
- I’m going running to work dinner off.
- She went to the gym to work off a few pounds.
Throw a monkey wrench in the works — ставить палки в колеса
Definition: cause a disturbance in something that seems clear and understandable
- I hate to throw a monkey wrench in the works, but don’t you think we should ask Andrew to help.
- Everything was set to go when John threw a monkey wrench in the works!